Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mayweather vs Ortiz

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is returning to the ring. The undefeated six-time world champion announced on his Twitter feed Tuesday he will end a 16-month hiatus when he faces WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz on September 17.

Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) hasn’t fought since a unanimous decision over Shane Mosley on May 1, 2010, and has repeatedly declined to accept a
 bout against WBO welterweight champ Manny Pacquiao—a dream ticket many boxing fans are eager to witness.

Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) is riding a six-match win streak, most recently defeating Andre Berto in April to claim the WBC crown in a fight many consider the year’s best.

“I am ready to return to the ring and give my fans a fantastic night of boxing by fighting the best out there for me; that is Victor Ortiz,” Mayweather said in a statement. “At this stage of my career, these are the challenges I look for, a young, strong, rising star looking to make his mark in boxing by beating me. “Trust me, I will be ready.”

“I respect Mayweather because he has been a champion for many years and I know he will be ready, but so will I,” said Ortiz. “I’m a world champion for a reason and I am not going to let go of my title any time soon. This is going to be a great fight, but I will remain a world champion for many years to come.”











No comments: